ML, no longer on the D/L

For almost a decade, I’ve been participating in this amazing worldwide event called National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal of NaNoWriMo, if you don’t know, is to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days. Every November is an insane month of scribbling and typing for writers all over the globe.

In 2015, I started hosting NaNoWriMo events in Timmins, ON. They were not sanctioned (in the good way or the bad way) by the Office of Letters and Light, but the Executive Director of NaNoWriMo spotted my postings on Facebook and encouraged me to become a Municipal Liaison (ML). I missed the deadline to apply for 2016 however, so spent a second year running unsanctioned events in 2016 under the Silverleaf Writers Guild’s banner.

In 2017, I set a reminder to apply to be an ML, and thank goodness I did, because I definitely would have missed the deadline again. As of August 2017, I was given the official title of ML in the Ontario:Elsewhere region. Yay!

My goal is to have enough participants this year to warrant Timmins being given its own region next year, so if you are a writer in Timmins & Area participating in NaNoWriMo this year, please reach out and let me know. The more the merrier!

The following are the NaNoWriMo events happening this year at the Timmins Public Library (320 Second Avenue). If anyone would like to participate that can’t make it in person, you may call in via Skype.

• October 11th 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Tembec Room) – Preparing to Write Workshop
  • October 29th 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Board Room) – Kick-Off Party
  • November 01st 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Board Room) – Write-in
  • November 05th 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Board Room) – Write-in
  • November 08th 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Tembec Room) – Write-in
  • November 12th 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Board Room) – Write-in
  • November 15th 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Tembec Room) – Refuel Potluck & Write-in
  • November 19th 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Board Room) – Write-in
  • November 22nd 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Tembec Room) – Write-in
  • November 26th 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Board Room) – Write-in
  • November 29th 6:00-8:00 p.m. (Tembec Room) – Write-in
  • December 03rd 2:30-4:30 p.m. (Tembec Room) – TGIO Wrap Party

All events are free and open to the public. You don’t need a profile on nanowrimo.org to attend. The Preparing to Write Workshop, especially, is great of any writer, not just novelists. At that workshop, pantsers will have a chance to pick a random story idea, and planners will learn more about brainstorming and outlining. Details about this and other events are posted on the Silverleaf Writers Guild Facebook page, which I encourage you to like and follow so you don’t miss any updates.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 705-262-3268 or jessicatrudel13@gmail.com. I’m so excited to meet even more writers in the Timmins area!

Published by

Jessica Trudel

Jessica Trudel has been a freelance writer and editor for over a decade. She is an outspoken advocate for mental health awareness, and a supporter of the arts in Northern Ontario.