What All Editors Should Do
Before you hire an editor, you should always request a sample. There are many reasons to request a sample:
- To gauge the editor’s level of knowledge and skill
- To make sure you understand what type editing (e.g. developmental, line, proofreading) they do
- To develop your working relationship with the editor and see if they are a good fit
If any editor refuses to provide you with a small sample edit, run. This is common practice for any professional editor.
What I Do
I provide a free 300 word developmental edit to anyone who requests one. You can send any 300 words. You don’t have to be planning on hiring me right now to be eligible. I’ll do it even if you’re years away from completing a manuscript. I can only provide you with a free sample edit once.
The most common things that people send me are:
- The opening of their novel (to test the impact of the first few paragraphs)
- Short stories
- Query letters
I hope that once you see the value of my services, you will want to hire me as your editor. Regardless, you’ll get something out of this partnership.
What I Don’t Do
I don’t edit poetry or academic writing.
“BIG shout out to Jessica Trudel for her support and feedback on my query. She gave especially detailed notes that will make a world of difference.”
Courtney McGuire (Facebook, 2018)
“Nice, professional feedback. Highly recommended!”
Emily Smith (Facebook, 2018)
“Her feedback and suggestions were right on. I have a project coming up in the near future where I strongly considering using her services. She’s worth checking out.”
Rae Mae (Facebook, 2017)
“I had my 300 word sample reviewed and am over the moon. Thank you so much.” Shirley Fridar Phiri: (Facebook, 2017)
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Email up to 300 words to firstname.lastname@example.org. It doesn’t have to be the first 300 words; you pick which 300 words you want to have edited.
- Post the words in the BODY of the email (no attachments).
- Include the subject line: Request for Review [Author Name]
- Do not include story background or context. Your words will stand on their own merit.
- You are eligible to receive this service only once.
- I will be constructive and respectful, but some of it may still sting. Just try not to take it personally.
- Turnaround time will depend on demand. There are some days where I can respond within the hour, and other times where it may take a week or two. Please be patient, but don’t be afraid to give me a nudge if you’ve been waiting a while.