A SHORT HISTORY
I’ve been a freelance writer and editor since 2006. I began by providing support and critique for writers online through deviantART.com, which is where I got my first job editing a novel-length manuscript. After working various sales, marketing and communications roles, I opened my own business called Cursor Communications. I provided writing and marketing services to clients, and was nominated for a NOVA Business Award in the Young Entrepreneur category in 2014. I quickly learned that I could still provide the same services under my own name, so I returned to operating as a freelance writer. Currently, I write for various clients, consult with writers on their manuscripts, and teach workshops on writing and marketing topics. I am also on the Board of Directors for the Silverleaf Writers Guild.
“Thank you so much for the article. It is great! The length is perfect, the content is useful, and the writing is clean with a strong voice… I am so glad the blog has writers like you!”
– Nadiya Osmani, Editor in Chief, BoldFace
“Jessica edited my report to make it more concise, clear and attractive, so that I could provide it to my clients with confidence.”
– C. Palmer
“Jessica not only improved my resume, she also took the time to explain how those improvements would make my resume more appealing to potential employers. She knew what she was doing, and I landed a full-time job shortly afterwards!”
– J. Zinck
- Blog writing
- Creative Writing
- Business writing
- Resume writing
- Individualized coaching
- Sales and marketing
- Social media
- Advertising and graphic design
- Basic HTML/CSS
A FEW WRITING SAMPLES
Topic: General Interest
- Wake Up Determined, Go to Bed Satisfied Everyday. AlignThoughts. August 2017.
- Five Ways to Become Well-Rounded Without Spending a Penny. AlignThoughts. July 2017.
Topic: Language & Literature
- “Behind Every Successful Man is a Woman.” Really? AlignThoughts. September 2017.
- Book Review: Level Up Your Life by Steve Kamb. BoldFace. March 2017.
- Five steps to successfully editing for a controlling client. BoldFace. January 2016.
Topic: Mental Health
- Am I a Good Person? A Borderline Personality Perspective. TalkSpace. May 2017.
- Healthy Minds Boost Productivity and Bottom Line. HRmonize, January 2013.
- Off-site Substance Abuse Affects Productivity. HRmonize, January 2013.
Topic: Political/Social Issues
- Timmins City Council Needs Young People. Inside Business. Timmins Chamber of Commerce, March 2014.
- 4 Generations at Work: What Do They Value? HRmonize, February 2014.
- Blurred Lines: Where Does Work End and Leisure Begin? HRmonize, January 2014.
- Equality for Women in the Workplace. HRmonize, July 2013.